Creative, practical magic for women… like you!
[women who are ready to create a life they love, based on their preferences, needs, and desires,
not the preferences, needs, and desires (or “shoulds”) of their mothers]
Well hello there…my name is Karen and I am a writer, life coach, and author of The Peaceful Daughter’s Guide To Separating From A Difficult Mother.
My practice is based on three fundamental beliefs:
- The truth never creates suffering and all stories can be told through the lens of truth
- The stuff that happened in the past is worth taking a look at, but even more important is examining the things you believe about the stuff that happened in the past, because…
- When we’re brave enough to tell our stories through the lens of truth, we have the capacity to create experiences and relationships that are rich and meaningful…and which are based on what we value.
Why I Do This
At the very center of the very heart of what we create is something that – on the surface – might seem like just one step in a multi-step process. Maybe even an after-thought. But really it’s what will make all the other steps possible.
What is this center-of-the-heart magical thing, you ask?
In a word: boundaries.
In many words: respect, value, autonomy, creativity, connection, compassion, kindness, authenticity
Here’s what I’ve learned in the process of becoming a Peaceful Daughter myself, and in helping thousands of other women become Peaceful Daughters: boundaries go waaaaaaay beyond throwing up our defenses when someone has done something to harm us or piss us off.
“Boundaries are your values in action.” ~ Randi Buckley
If I had to guess, I’d say you might not be super clear about your values. And the only reason I know that is because, at one time, I was not clear about mine. I often felt like a balloon drifting in the breeze because I relied on my mother to tell me what to value. Of course I did…if I didn’t I paid a price.
For those of us who struggle in our relationship with our mothers, it’s often the case that we don’t know where they end and we begin. There’s also a really good chance that she felt the same way so of course she couldn’t model healthy boundaries if she didn’t have them for herself.
About Our Relationship
“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I may remember. Involve me and I learn.” ~ Ben Franklin
- When you hire me, you get a fully committed, co-creating partner. Someone who will involve you in the process.
- I believe in honest, straightforward communication. Direct, personal, real…sometimes intense. Always confidential. I don’t shy away from hard conversations. I won’t ever believe you when you say you’re stuck or that you “don’t know.”
- That’s really good news, right? That’s why you want to work with me.
- I will always see you at your highest potential.
- I will always ask that you consciously agree to actively engage in the process: show up for yourself. You might find me asking if you are truly showing up for yourself as we go. And please know that YOU know what it looks like for you to show up.
A Little Bit More About Who I Am
- I am a work in progress. The vast majority of the time I am excited to do my own work.
- There are also times when I’m like “Fuuuuuuckkkkkk…I’d rather crawl back into my cave and hide.” And yes, I drop an F-Bomb from time to time.
- Words others have used to describe me: insightful, silly, wise, mischievous, intense, empathetic, rebellious, impatient, patient, inspiring, brave, independent, talkative…
- Words I have used to describe myself: awkward, pathetic, needy, selfish… I used to be unconscious to these qualities in myself. You might be wondering why I’d admit to such qualities. I believe that consciously examining ALL aspects of ourselves, especially the aspects that scare or disgust us, is what makes us truly whole and complete.
- I am not a licensed professional. I have a shit-ton of experience, wisdom, skill, process, and talent. My toolbox is deep and diverse. I have a college degree and I have some certifications (if you’d like more of those details I will certainly provide them).
- My two best credentials: #1 I have Been There and Done That AND #2 I practice what I preach!
:: Group coaching programs. Impeccable Boundaries for Peaceful Daughters (starts February 20).
:: Live events: Generational Healing: An Expressive Arts Retreat coming April 28, 2017!
:: Monthly coaching/support calls for Peaceful Daughters (click here).
The very best way to contact me if you want a timely response is via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
“That which comes from the heart goes to the heart.” ~ Norwegian saying